Sunday, December 09, 2007

Ankaragucu (Ankara force) Part II


Last week I went to another Ankaragücü futbol match, and it was definitely worth another blog entry, so that's what's coming. In the meantime I have been bogged down with finishing my divinity school application to Harvard (should go out tomorrow), reading about the abolitionists, making gingerbread houses, and of course, teaching my butt off. I can't guarantee I'll get the whole entry in tonight but I'll try. In the meantime, let me just mention:

-The game ended in a 2-2 tie, again. All 8 goals I have seen scored at the Ulus Stadium have come on the same end of the field, the one where I sat with the crazy fans last time (more on them later).

-I bought an Ankara
gücü hat and scarf at the match. They have been great conversation starters. Usually the conversations go something like this:
Ankara native: "Ah, you support Ankara
gücü?!"
Me: "Yes!"

-My favorite story of the week (maybe the year so far) from class came when my students were telling me how some kids got suspended for throwing snowballs at the statue of the Rector. I said they should have just brought the kids in and let the Rector throw snowballs at them, but hen one of my students pointed out this would set a very difficult precedent for the ones who pissed on the statue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home